- About Us
- Visit Us
- Nature Camps
- Events for Friends & Families
- Schools, Scouts, & Groups
- Support Us
Volunteer With Us!
Volunteers are a vital part of Leslie Science & Nature Center and participate in almost every aspect of our organization. Volunteers help us meet the demands of our work throughout the year, but are especially crucial during the spring, summer, and fall. The volunteer experience offers participants the ability to develop knowledge and skills in a supportive environment. There are ongoing educational opportunities along with many other benefits.
Our volunteers work in the LSNC Critter House, assist program coordinators, help out with trail maintenance, garden in our native plant beds, assist with the care and educational use of our birds of prey, and participate in a variety of special programs. You can come once to help with a particular task or come once a week to bring your energy and expertise to one of our programs. We also welcome groups who are interested in volunteering together as a service project.
All volunteer applicants are required to submit a written application. Through a personal interview, we match your areas of interest with the opportunities at the Center. Volunteers coming aboard will receive an orientation, which may include preliminary or on-the-job training prior to your assignment. We welcome applications from individuals of diverse age, experience, ethnicity, and physical ability.
Examples of past projects:
- Stewardship workdays throughout the spring, summer, and fall: Volunteers clean and help maintain the native plant beds and trails.
- Summer camp volunteers help in daily activities (15 years and older); Guest presenters for Day Camps have included musicians, storytellers and local experts.
- Animal Haunts: During the month of October volunteers help build the prairie maze, stuff scarecrows, make leaf garlands, decorate the DTE Energy Nature House, run the outside games and concession stand, and act as a trail guides. We average about 200 volunteer hours hosting everyone's favorite non-scary Halloween program.
Serve on our Board of Directors
Leslie Science & Nature Center is governed by a Board of Directors. These members serve the organization as volunteers. If you are interested in serving on the Board, please contact our Executive Director, Susan Westhoff. The Board of Directors, individually and as a group, provide organizational governance, takes an active role in fundraising, fiscal stewardship, networking, public relations, long-range strategic development, event planning, and Board recruitment. Directors must exercise a strong sense of professionalism and high moral standards, maintaining the best interest of the Leslie Science & Nature Center. The Board relies on the experienced and professional staff of LSNC to run the daily operations and programming of the Center. We have periodic openings on the Board of Directors and/or its subcommittees.