- About Us
- PLAN YOUR VISIT
- Nature Camps
- PRESCHOOL & FAMILY BIRTHDAYS & RENTALS
- SCHOOLS, SCOUTS & COMMUNITY GROUPS
- Support Us
You are hereHome ›
Summer Camp Volunteers
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us! Volunteer applications for the 2017 summer will open in March. Please sign up here if you are interested in getting an email reminder.
Spend some of your summer in the great outdoors when you volunteer at LSNC's Summer Camp! Join other teens from throughout the Ann Arbor area as you develop new leadership skills, gain valuable work experience, and learn about Michigan's natural history and ecology.
That's not all—camp volunteers also get to hike the trails, participate in field trips, and play camp favorites like Wolf Pack, Camouflage, and Scatterball!
Who should apply?
- Teens 13-17 years old (preference is given to those in 9th grade and up)
- Youth interested in environmental issues, outdoor programming and education, camp, teaching, or leadership
- Responsible individuals who are interested in mentoring younger kids
- Folks who are interested in spending the summer outside, rain or shine
What are the responsibilities?
- Serve as a positive role model by making safe choices, participating in all activities, using positive language, and being silly and fun
- Assist Summer Camp Educators with supervising campers
- Help lead activities, games, and crafts
- Support camp success by serving snack, taking care of program spaces and equipment, and giving campers 1:1 attention
- Be able to commit to at least two weeks of volunteer work throughout the summer, between 8am and 4pm, Monday-Friday
What are the benefits?
- Develop leadership skills, learn about science and nature, and gain work/volunteer experience
- Share your talents in music, arts, cooking, athletics, and more during Choice Time and Chillaxation
- Participate in leadership development and skill-building opportunities, and receive performance feedback from Summer Camp Educators
- Enjoy the summer outside, whether you're strolling in the pollinator garden, playing kickball in the big field, exploring our wooded trails, or dipping for insects in Black Pond
- Upon request, receive documentation of community service or volunteer hours and a letter of recommendation
How should I apply?
Applications are generally posted in March and must be submitted by early May preceding the camp season. Individuals interested in volunteering at our school break camps should contact Etta Heisler, Camp and Public Programs Director.
- Summer Camp Volunteer Open House (Date TBD)
This required meeting will include an overview of our site, schedule, and expectations of this volunteer position as well as provide a review of safety protocols and volunteer responsibilities. Each applicant will have a 5-minute interview and meet & greet with our lead LSNC camp staff.
- Summer Camp Volunteer Training (Date TBD)
This training is required for volunteers and will prepare you for a fantastic summer! We will get to know one another, learn safety protocols, play and learn some of our games and crafts, and become familiar with the typical summer camp day.